What to Expect
Coming to Houston Grand Opera for the first time? Prepare for an exciting, unique, and memorable experience! A night at the Opera is an accessible fun experience for all ages.
See you at the Wortham Theater!
HGO is here to make your outing to the opera a special one. When planning your visit, you have multiple resources:
- Contact HGO’s Customer Care Center at 713-228-6737 or email@example.com to request assistance with performance information, make exchanges, purchase extra tickets, or to make a donation.
- Customer Care hours are 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday through Friday during during non-performance
- 10 a.m. – curtain call on performance days
- 10 a.m. – curtain call on performance weekends
- To purchase or make exchanges in person visit us at the Wortham Theater Center Box Office at the Wortham Theater Center, 550 Prairie.
- Open two hours Prior to Performance time
Please call the Customer Care Team at 713-228-6737, and a team member will meet you at the box office to assist you.
Enjoy the Wortham
We encourage our guests to make full use of the Wortham Theater Center when at an HGO performance. You can:
- Attend an Opera Insights lecture: Learn more about the day’s opera from our incredible dramaturg, Jeremy Johnson, before every performance. These events are free to ticket-holders, so come early and join us on the Orchestra level of the Brown Auditorium! Talks begin 45 minutes prior to curtain.
- Relax and reflect: The Wortham Theater Center’s Brown and Cullen alcoves are there for all to enjoy. Step inside one of these golden-hued spaces in the Grand Foyer, and you’ll find a calm place to reflect on the day’s performance.
- Dine-in: Food services are available prior to each performance, with seating available throughout the Grand Foyer.
- Enjoy a drink: The lobby bars are open before each performance and during intermission. Pro tip: Pre-order beverages for intermission at any of the bars when you arrive at the theater, and your drinks will be waiting for you!
- The Founders Salon: Full-season subscribers in the Founders Boxes, Premium Orchestra, and Loge Boxes may dine in the Founders Salon. Reservations are required; call Elegant Events and Catering by Michael at 713-533-9318.
- Rent a pair of binoculars: Want to see the action up close? You can rent binoculars on the Grand Tier level (5th floor).
Click to see Wortham Center seating charts as well as photos of the stage view from various sections of the auditoriums.
- Exchanging tickets: Subscribers may exchange their tickets for a different performance of the same opera without fee, subject to availability, by phone. Non-subscription single tickets may be exchanged with a service fee of $10 per ticket. When exchanged for tickets of greater value, the customer will be responsible for the difference; no refunds will be made. No exchanges are permitted after the performance has begun.
- Replacing lost or misplaced tickets: Contact the Customer Care Center to request replacement tickets, which will be reprinted and held at the Will Call window for you free of charge.
- Options for patrons with disabilities: The Wortham features wheelchair access to both theaters with a choice of seating locations and ticket prices. An FM assistive listening device, provided by the Houston First Corporation, is available for use free of charge at all performances. Contact the Customer Care Center for details. Descriptive services for persons with vision loss are available with 48-hour advance reservations; call 713-980-8662 for details.
- Nearby paid-parking garages: These include The Theater District Parking Garage, the Lyric Parking Garage, the Alley Theatre Garage and the One Market Square Garage. All are credit card-only.
- Parking for guests with disabilities: If you have a state-issued disability permit and need valet parking, you may purchase special passes by contacting the Customer Care Center. Parking spots for disabled ticket holders are also available in the Theater District Garage on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Patrons Circle parking: Members enjoy complimentary self-parking in the reserved Patron Circle section of the Theater District Parking Garage.
- Trustee valet parking: Trustees may utilize the valet station located on Prairie Street. If you would like information about Patrons Circle or Trustee membership, please contact HGO’s Philanthropy staff at 713-546-0704 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Leave your car at home: Alto is the official rideshare of HGO. Use the specially designated drop-off/pick-up area located at 551 Prairie Street.
Houston Grand Opera offers Opera Insights lectures before every performance. Learn more about the day’s opera from our incredible dramaturg, Jeremy Johnson. These events are free to ticket-holders and begin 45 minutes before the curtain.
Frequently Asked Questions
We welcome opera fans of all ages, but very young children can sometimes disrupt the performance and disturb other patrons. Children who are able to sit quietly through an entire performance, which can run for three hours, are welcome. We recommend a minimum age of seven years for this reason. Babies in arms are not permitted in the theater. Children under the age of fourteen must be accompanied by an adult. Disruptive or noisy children, along with their accompanying adult, will be asked by an usher to leave the theater. Unless the programming is specific to children and family audiences, please use discretion in choosing to bring a child to a performance.
Someone is available to assist at the Box Office from 10am to 5pm on weekdays, and from 12pm to 5pm on Saturdays during rep. Unless there is a performance scheduled, the Box Office is never open on Sundays.
If the performance you have booked is to take place within the next seven days, you cannot choose the "Mail" option. This is because you may not receive your tickets in time if we mail them. To avoid this inconvenience, select the “Print at Home” option for your tickets, or "Hold at Box Office" for pick up.
You may pick up your tickets at the Box Office Will Call windows on the night of your performance; we recommend arriving at least thirty minutes before your performance start time. Please note that beginning one hour before show time, the Box Office is only able to handle inquiries regarding that day’s performance. You may exchange tickets at the Box Office, but only up to curtain time; once a performance has commenced, you cannot exchange your seat.
Yes! Tickets can be reprinted at any time by calling Customer Care or visiting the Box Office, and can be re-mailed or held at Will Call.
There is no official process for transferring tickets, but we get this question a lot. Tickets can be used by anyone, as long as they keep the physical ticket with them to have the barcode scanned. So yes, tickets can be passed off to someone as a gift, if the original purchaser can’t attend and wants to let a friend go, etc.
Many operagoers wear comfortable, business-appropriate clothing, and many dress casually as well. More formal attire is often worn, but not required.
Check your ticket for the curtain time and please allow ample time for traffic and parking conditions. Out of consideration for the performers and other members of the audience, we observe a "no late seating" policy. Those arriving after the performance has begun will be seated at an appropriate pause or at intermission. There are television monitors in the foyer so that patrons won’t miss any of the production while waiting to be seated. We do not offer refunds or exchanges for latecomers.
Always give yourself plenty of time to park and retrieve your tickets from Will Call (if applicable). We always suggest leaving yourself at least 30 minutes, regardless.
Patrons who must leave the auditorium for any reason during the performance will be readmitted at intermission or an appropriate pause.
Yes. Wheelchair and companion seating is available. We recommend calling HGO Customer Care at 713-228-6737 to reserve these seats well in advance.
Yes. These are provided free of charge Houston First Corporation. Call 713-228-6737 in advance to reserve.
Yes. These are also provided free of charge by Houston First Corporation. Call 713-980-8662 at least 48 hours in advance to reserve the device.
Before the show, pick up a beverage order form at the bar. List the beverages of your choice and present it to the bartender for purchase. At intermission, your beverages will be ready for you.
Food is available for purchase in the Wortham Theater Center prior to performances and is also available at intermission.
Yes, the HGO Guild operates a small shop in the lobby at each performance.
- Turn off wristwatch alarms, cell phones, and beepers for the duration of the show. We’ll remind you again with an announcement before the performance. If you are concerned about missing an emergency call, please leave your name or device and seat location with an usher and we will alert you if a call comes through.
- Be modest with your use of fragrances as some patrons may have allergies.
- Wait until intermission or after the performance to discuss the show. Even whispers carry!
- Unwrap throat-lozenges and hard candies before the performance begins. Because of the theater’s excellent acoustics, even the smallest sounds carry. One crinkly wrapper can affect the opera experience of others.
- If you have a complaint about another guest, please tell an usher rather than approaching the person yourself.
We do not offer refunds. Tickets may be donated back for a tax receipt or exchanged for a later date by calling Customer Care, or even given to a friend.