Apply to the Bauer Family High School Voice Studio
Applications will be available January 6, 2019 and will remain open until March 8, 2019. CLICK HERE to apply today.
Preliminary auditions will be held at the following locations:
- March 23, Houston Grand Opera, 510 Preston Street Houston, TX 77002
- March 31 High School for the Visual and Performing Arts, Houston ISD 790 Austin St. Houston, TX 77002
You must sign up for a live preliminary audition time (recording will not be accepted). A link to the timeslots is available in the application form. Those who sign up without a submitted application will not be heard.
Applicants will need to bring two sealed letters of recommendation with them to their live audition.
What is the Bauer Family High School Voice Studio?
HSVS’s mission is to identify and nurture high school students who exhibit extraordinary talent and are interested in pursuing vocal performance at the collegiate level. The HSVS guides aspiring students to find healthy means of vocal technique and artistic expression and all-around achievement within a rigorous and supportive environment.
- Regular private voice lessons with recognized, Houston-area college voice faculty.
- Monthly masterclasses with HGO mainstage artists or artistic staff, or group meetings that focus on researching and preparing for college auditions.
- Significant financial assistance with travel for college auditions.
- Development of a College Audition Toolkit: Guidance with identifying the best school “fit” for each student, audition techniques, text interpretation, application assistance, professional-quality video to use for preliminary auditions.
- Two free tickets to each HGO mainstage dress rehearsal, plus intermission dessert and discussions.
Houston Grand Opera class of 2018–19
- John Baugh IV, Tenor, Strake Jesuit College Preparatory
- Daniel Boyd, Baritone, HSPVA
- Jadon Campos, Baritone, Glenda Dawson High School
- Alina Dong, Soprano, Clear Lake High School
- Nidia Guevara-Nolasco, Mezzo Soprano, Angleton High School
- Sean Holshouser, Baritone, Homeschooled
- Maximillian Macias, Tenor, HSPVA
- Ashley Onuigbo, Mezzo Soprano, Cinco Ranch High School
- Riley Vagis, Mezzo Soprano, The Woodlands High School
- Emilio Vasquez, Baritone, Shadow Creek High School
Prize winners of the 2017–18 Bauer Family High School Voice Studio Scholarship Awards Program. From left to right: Christopher Michel, judge; Elisa Thompson, judge; Paul Hopper, judge; Hannah Jones, 1st place; Elisabeth Leone, 2nd Place; Sean Holshouser, Encouragement Award; Mallory Williams, 3rd Place.
Schedule of events open to the public:
February 3, 2019, 2PM– Master Class with Lawrence Brownlee,
Houston Grand Opera, 6th floor Rehearsal Room Gockley
510 Preston St. Houston, TX 77002
Please RSVP here
March 3, 2019, 2PM – Master Class, location TBD
April 7, 2019, 2PM – Master Class, location TBD
May 18, 2019, 5PM – Graduation Recital and Scholarship awards program at Rice University, Duncan Recital Hall
Ruth and Ted Bauer Family Foundation
C. T. Bauer Foundation
Houston Grand Opera Guild Endowment Fund in memory of Ann Craft