Apply to the Bauer Family High School Voice Studio
Applications are available here, and will remain open until March 13, 2020.
Video submissions are required when submitting applications. You must submit a video links featuring two different selections in the application. Otherwise, your application will not be considered for the live audition.
Additionally, applicants are required to submit two letters of recommendation with their application. Please use this form to give to your recommenders and have them email it along with their letter to HSVoice@houstongrandopera.org by March 13, 2020.
Appropriate Repertoire to Use for Your Audition. Students should consult with their current private voice teacher or choir director when selecting their music. Suitable repertoire can be found on the University Scholastic League’s prescribed music list at: http://wwwdev.uiltexas.org/pml/ In addition, musical theater pieces written in the golden-age style (before 1970) or solo versions of spirituals or religious hymns may be appropriate for singers who have not studied privately. All pieces should be accompanied by piano and performed from memory.
What is the Bauer Family High School Voice Studio?
HSVS’s mission is to identify and nurture high school students who exhibit extraordinary talent and are interested in pursuing vocal performance at the collegiate level. The HSVS guides aspiring students to find healthy means of vocal technique and artistic expression and all-around achievement within a rigorous and supportive environment.
- Regular private voice lessons with recognized, Houston-area college voice faculty.
- Monthly masterclasses with HGO mainstage artists or artistic staff, or group meetings that focus on researching and preparing for college auditions.
- Significant financial assistance with travel for college auditions.
- Development of a College Audition Toolkit: Guidance with identifying the best school “fit” for each student, audition techniques, text interpretation, application assistance, professional-quality video to use for preliminary auditions.
- Two free tickets to each HGO mainstage dress rehearsal, plus intermission dessert and discussions.
Houston Grand Opera class of 2019–20
- Zach Durgin, tenor, Mayde Creek High School
- Brianna Escamilla, mezzo-soprano, junior, Angleton High School
- Nidia Guevara-Nolasco, mezzo-soprano, senior, Angleton High School
- Ariadne Lopez, soprano, senior, Galena Park High School
- Kanade Motomura, mezzo-soprano, senior, High School for the Performing and Visual Arts
- Sebastian Pineda, baritone, senior, Deer Park High School
- Angie Tovar, soprano, senior, High School for the Performing and Visual Arts
- Emilio Vásquez, baritone, senior, Shadow Creek High School
- Jude Watt, tenor, junior, Kingwood High School
Prize winners of the 2018–19 Bauer Family High School Voice Studio Scholarship Awards Program. From left to right: Emilio Vásquez- Encouragement Award; Alina Dong- 3rd Place; Daniel Boyd- 2nd Place; Sean Holshouser- 1st Place; Gwendolyn Alfred- judge; Alicia Gianni- judge; Robin Rice- judge
Schedule of events open to the public:
- February 2: 2PM-5PM Masterclass, Houston Grand Opera, 510 Preston St. Houston, TX
- March 15: 2PM-5PM Masterclass, Houston Grand Opera, 510 Preston St. Houston, TX
- April 19: 2PM-5PM Masterclass with Richard Bado, Houston Grand Opera, 510 Preston St. Houston, TX
- May 9: 6PM-Graduation Recital and Scholarship awards program at Rice University, Duncan Recital Hall
Ruth and Ted Bauer Family Foundation
C. T. Bauer Foundation
Houston Grand Opera Guild Endowment Fund in memory of Ann Craft