What is the Bauer Family High School Voice Studio?
HSVS’s mission is to identify and nurture high school students who exhibit extraordinary talent and are interested in pursuing vocal performance at the collegiate level. The HSVS guides aspiring students to find healthy means of vocal technique and artistic expression and all-around achievement within a rigorous and supportive environment.
- Regular private voice lessons with recognized, Houston-area college voice faculty.
- Monthly masterclasses with HGO mainstage artists or artistic staff, or group meetings that focus on researching and preparing for college auditions.
- Significant financial assistance with travel for college auditions.
- Development of a College Audition Toolkit: Guidance with identifying the best school “fit” for each student, audition techniques, text interpretation, application assistance, professional-quality video to use for preliminary auditions.
- Two free tickets to each HGO mainstage dress rehearsal, plus intermission dessert and discussions.
Houston Grand Opera class of 2019–20
- John Baugh IV, tenor, senior, Strake Jesuit College Preparatory
- Brianna Escamilla, mezzo-soprano, junior, Angleton High School
- Nidia Guevara-Nolasco, mezzo-soprano, senior, Angleton High School
- Ariadne Lopez, soprano, senior, Galena Park High School
- Nidia Guevara-Nolasco, Mezzo Soprano, Angleton High School
- Kanade Motomura, mezzo-soprano, senior, High School for the Performing and Visual Arts
- Sebastian Pineda, baritone, senior, Deer Park High School
- Angie Tovar, soprano, senior, High School for the Performing and Visual Arts
- Emilio Vásquez, baritone, senior, Shadow Creek High School
- Jude Watt, tenor, junior, Kingwood High School
Prize winners of the 2018–19 Bauer Family High School Voice Studio Scholarship Awards Program. From left to right: Emilio Vásquez- Encouragement Award; Alina Dong- 3rd Place; Daniel Boyd- 2nd Place; Sean Holshouser- 1st Place; Gwendolyn Alfred- judge; Alicia Gianni- judge; Robin Rice- judge
Schedule of events open to the public:
- September 29: 2-5PM Masterclass with Ana Maria Martinez
- October 13: 2PM-5PM Masterclass
- December 8: 2PM-5PM Masterclass
- January 5: 2PM-5PM Mock Auditions
- February 2: 2PM-5PM Masterclass
- March 15: 2PM-5PM Masterclass
- April 19: 2PM-5PM Masterclass with Richard Bado
- May 9: 6PM Final Recital
Ruth and Ted Bauer Family Foundation
C. T. Bauer Foundation
Houston Grand Opera Guild Endowment Fund in memory of Ann Craft