Class of 2018–19 Applications
Applications for the 2018–19 Bauer Family High School Voice Studio are now available. To apply, click here.
Applications are due by March, 23, 2018 at 5:00 PM.
For additional information regarding auditions, click here.
What is the Bauer Family High School Voice Studio?
HSVS’s mission is to identify and nurture high school students who exhibit extraordinary talent and are interested in pursuing vocal performance at the collegiate level. The HSVS guides aspiring students to find healthy means of vocal technique and artistic expression and all-around achievement within a rigorous and supportive environment.
- Regular private voice lessons with recognized, Houston-area college voice faculty.
- Monthly masterclasses with HGO mainstage artists or artistic staff, or group meetings that focus on researching and preparing for college auditions.
- Significant financial assistance with travel for college auditions.
- Development of a College Audition Toolkit: Guidance with identifying the best school “fit” for each student, audition techniques, text interpretation, application assistance, professional-quality video to use for preliminary auditions.
- Two free tickets to each HGO mainstage dress rehearsal, plus intermission dessert and discussions.
Houston Grand Opera class of 2017–18
- Solomon Alhakeem, High School of the Performing and Visual Arts, Houston ISD
- Alina Dong, Clear Lake High School, Clear Creek ISD
- Emily Hansen, Klein Oak High School, Klein ISD
- Sean Holshouser
- Hannah Jones, High School of the Performing and Visual Arts, Houston ISD
- Elisabeth Leone, Klein Oak High School, KISD
- Dann Lewis, Ridgepoint HS, Fort Bend ISD
- Maximillian Macias, High School of the Performing and Visual Arts, Houston ISD
- Christian Mathews, Friendswood High School, Friendswood ISD
- Riley Vagis, The Woodlands High School, Conroe ISD
- Mallory Williams, Glenda Dawson High School, Pearland ISD
Members of the 2017–18 Bauer Family High School Voice Studio performed in the world premiere HGO opera The House without a Christmas Tree. The performances were conducted by HGO Associate Music Director Bradley Moore and directed by world-renowned stage director James Robinson.
High School Voice Studio Masterclass Schedule
Masterclasses are open to the public with prior registration. Contact Alisa Magallón, HGOco education manager to sign up. The 2017–18 Masterclasses are:
|Sunday, April 8
||Masterclass TBA, 2 p.m. HGO Resilience Theater (preshow lecture room)
|Sunday, May 6
||Masterclass with HGO mainstage artist TBA, 2 p.m.
|Sunday, May 20
||Graduation Recital and Scholarship Awards, Duncan Recital Hall, Rice University, 6 p.m.
Free and open to the public
Ruth and Ted Bauer Family Foundation
C. T. Bauer Foundation
Houston Grand Opera Guild Endowment Fund in memory of Ann Craft