Employment & Auditions
Employment Opportunities Opportunities for employment at Houston Grand Opera are posted here regularly. Houston Grand Opera is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Candidates for employment are considered without regard to race, color, sex, creed, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, non-job-related disability, or marital status.
- Leads the department's strategic and operational planning to achieve business goals by fostering innovation, prioritizing IT initiatives, and coordinating the evaluation, deployment and management of current and future IT systems across the organization.
- Oversees all personnel assigned to the IT department by coordinating, assigning, reviewing work and establishing work schedules, maintaining standards, monitoring work progress, inspecting completed work assignment, answering questions, and providing advice and direction as needed.
- Establishes and maintains information technology policies, standards, practices and security measures to ensure effective and consistent operations, and to safeguard information resources.
- Develops, tracks and controls the annual IT operating and capital expenditures budgets.
- Evaluates IT equipment needs throughout the entire organization and develops and maintains a plan that will ensure business needs are met.
- Directs and coordinates technology installations, upgrades and maintenance, and selects and purchases new and replacement hardware and software, when necessary.
- Ensures that all IT activities are performed within the parameters of applicable laws, codes, and regulations, especially with respect to cybersecurity.
- Evaluates technology risks in order to develop and maintain an updated network disaster recovery plan and backup procedures and ensures that all server backups and disaster recovery plans are followed.
- Plans, coordinates and assists with the implementation of system-related projects and upgrades, and ensures that adequate controls are in place to safeguard data from unauthorized users or loss.
- Remains knowledgeable about pertinent advances and industry trends regarding information technology.
- Oversees company's capital asset replacement plan and execution;
- Serves as company's facilities manager; plans and coordinates installations and refurbishments as requested.
- The knowledge and skills required for this position are typically acquired in 5-10 years of experience in managing one or more information processing functions and/or through advanced training.
- Technical or on-the-job training in programming and hardware installation and maintenance is also required for the Director to work along with the staff for the effective development of the information systems.
- Frequent reading of periodicals and other literature on state-of-the-art trends as well as attendance at vendor-sponsored and other seminars is required in order to maintain the level of familiarity with the subject matter required to fill this position.
- Advanced training through technical institutions and/or colleges is also necessary to maintain skills to develop the systems necessary for HGO's success.
- The ability and skill to implement, set up and manage hardware is necessary for a department of this size. Technical skills play a large role in this position.
Director of Information Technology (IT)
Job Title: Director of Information Technology (IT)
Reports To: Chief Financial Officer
Classification: Full-time, Exempt
Date: August 2020
SUMMARY: This position plans, directs and manages Houston Grand Opera's information technology department in order to ensure the development and implementation of cost-effective systems and efficient computer operations to meet the company's current and future decision-making requirements. The Director of IT provides company-wide direction in areas of policy and planning for data processing and related functions (communication, office systems, interplant connectivity, etc.)
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The omission of specific statement of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this class. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
SPECIAL JOB CHARACTERISTICS: Demonstrated excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Able to work independently and as part of a larger team on complex tasks with minimal supervision. Able to create accurate work in a fast-paced environment with constant change and interruptions. Able to prioritize effectively and manage multiple tasks simultaneously. Able to gather relevant facts in a timely manner and make decisions quickly. Commitment to the mission and values of Houston Grand Opera.
To apply for this position, please visit Houston Grand Opera's job board at www.houstongrandopera.org/work
RESUMES ACCEPTED UNTIL FILLED.
Houston Grand Opera is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Candidates for employment are considered without regard to race, color, sex, creed, religion, national origin, sexual preference, age, non-job r
Digital Marketing Manager
Job Title: Digital Marketing Manager
Department: Marketing and Communication
Reports To: Associate Director of Marketing and Communication
Classification: Full-time, Exempt
Date: November 2020
SUMMARY: The Digital Marketing Manager is responsible for developing and implementing the Houston Grand Opera’s digital strategy – including, but not limited to, website developments and updates, email communications, and paid social media – to support the myriad needs of the HGO stakeholders. The role works within the Marketing and Communication department and is the primary manager of outside digital vendors. The Digital Marketing Manager identifies trends and develops post-campaign analytics to outline success or obstacles. The role works closely with the Customer Care, Advancement Services, IT, and Development departments.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
Manage the day-to-day operation of HGO.org, including working with outside web developers and digital agencies, internal Tessitura managers, and other stakeholders to ensure proper functionality;
Work with supervisor to develop and implement an overall digital strategy for the organization that supports efforts to deliver on revenue goals, online engagement, and overall communication strategies;
Update the website using current CMS to ensure all information is current, correct, and following brand standards;
Work with IT and database managers to ensure the platforms stability and to provide access to the API to outside sales partners;
Work with supervisor to create and manage effective social media campaigns based on current HGO activities;
Implement and monitor analytics for all digital efforts, including tag management, UTM tracking, etc.;
Create and distribute comprehensive, comparative reports on digital activities and use that data for recommendations across the organization;
Provide email marketing and paid social media strategy to the entire organization;
Serve as quality control and best practices manager for digital assets across the organization;
Work with outside agency to develop and implement paid digital advertising campaign. This role will work closely with designers and digital content coordinator to ensure projects stay on track.
Keep current on web and social media trends, innovations, and emergent interactive technologies; make recommendations on new features and applications.
Bachelor’s degree preferred (marketing, communication, or similar).
4+ years of directly related experience in digital marketing; exposure to not-for-profit management beneficial.
Demonstrable experience of working with a web CMS (ideally Umbraco), a CRM application (ideally Tessitura) and email management system (ideally WordFly).
Solid understanding of applying a consistent brand voice across all digital channels.
Ability to create and manipulate digital assets using the Adobe Suite.
Experience managing successful social media campaigns, and a solid understanding of social marketing.
Previous supervisory experience preferred.
Must be able to work in the evening and on occasional weekends.
SPECIAL JOB CHARACTERISTICS:
Detail-oriented with attention to process, the ability to multi-task, work quickly and efficiently, and function with minimal supervision while working against deadlines in a fast-paced environment is required. Must be a team player and possess excellent interpersonal & customer service skills. Some weekend and night work required. Perks include access to final dress rehearsals.
To apply for this position, please visit Houston Grand Opera’s job board at www.houstongrandopera.org/work. RESUMES ACCEPTED UNTIL FILLED.
Houston Grand Opera is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Candidates for employment are considered without regard to race, color, sex, creed, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, non-job-related disability, or marital status.
Job Title: Marketing Coordinator
Department: Marketing and Communications
Reports To: Marketing Manager
Classification: Full-time, Non-exempt
Date: January 2021
Reporting to the Marketing Manager, the Marketing Coordinator will be vital in creating and implementing campaigns and developing tactics to improve sales and increase engagement efforts through single tickets, subscriptions, and group sales. They will support the single ticket and subscription sales campaigns efforts. In addition to taking ownership over several established portfolios including ONYP and group sales, this role will also develop new outreach opportunities to expand current audiences and grow new audience groups.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Provide support to the marketing department, including but not limited to:
• Create and manage campaigns to drive sales and engagement for subscription, single ticket, and group initiatives in order to achieve revenue goals.
• Manage and serve as the primary point person for group sales and audience-specific programs including ONYP and Overture.
• Responsible deploying all company emails including email design, list development, and coordinating with internal departments.
• Assist in proofing and editing of sales materials including emails, print ads, direct mail pieces, web pages, promotional codes, and the annual season brochure.
• With support from the Marketing Manager, lead event coordination for special marketing events, including but not limited to the Opening Night Intermission Mixers, Overture Receptions, Wortham Tree Lighting, Theatre District Open House, Sweets and Treats, and other subscriber retention events.
• Work closely with members of the department to conduct audience reaction videos and utilize content such as media reviews in marketing assets.
• Support the Marketing Manager with initiatives such as group sales, audience-specific programming, and partnerships.
• Assist the Marketing Manager with the proofing and routing process for marketing deliverables.
• Pull and organize sales-based reports on marketing campaigns including emails, direct mail, and promotional codes on a regular basis.
• Performance and marketing event support on both nights and weekends as needed.
Note: This job description represents the essential functions of the position but is not all inclusive. Additional duties reasonably related to the position may be assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, advertising or related field with 2-3 years of office administrative experience. Proven marketing campaign and/or event coordination experience a plus. Experience working in a CRM database system and performing arts is a plus. Must be able to work some evenings and weekends.
Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment, high energy and exceptionally strong interpersonal and communication skills are a must. An eye for detail and quality control is imperative, as well as being able to multi-task and prioritize effectively. A polished approach in presenting sales and campaign information, a proactive and collaborative professional manner required.
Please apply at https://www.houstongrandopera.org/employment-and-auditions/. RESUMES ACCEPTED UNTIL FILLED.
Houston Grand Opera is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Candidates for employment are considered without regard to race, color, sex, creed, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, non-job related disability, or marital status.
Job Title: Controller
Department: Finance and Administration
Reports To: CFO
Classification: Exempt, Fulltime
Date: February 2021
The Controller oversees the accounting, tax and audit activities of the organization and subsidiaries, and is responsible for the maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls designed to mitigate risk, to enhance the accuracy of the company's reported financial results, and to ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles. Oversight of the strategic use of Financial Edge, Tessitura and Endowment Solutions software also reside in the job scope of this position.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Direct HGO's accounting operations, ensuring the accuracy, effectiveness, and productivity of accounts payable, invoicing/billing/customer records, accounts receivable, payroll receivables/liabilities, inventory/fixed asset records, general ledger accounting and cost accounting.
- Manage data within Financial Edge and develop reporting to disseminate information to management.
- Maintain and update chart of accounts, project codes, reports/VCOs
- Manage cash flow and lines of credit to minimize interest expense while staying current with payments to vendors.
- Oversee the accounting operations of subsidiary corporations, control systems, transaction-processing operations, and policies and procedures (HGO Guild, HGO Endowment).
- Prepare/review investment entries and unitization reports for the HGO Endowment.
- Issue timely, complete and accurate quarterly and annual financial statements.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, working with external auditors and assessing/implementing changes as necessary.
- Prepare and deliver appropriate reports to the Audit Committee as directed.
- Manage deferred compensation investment accounts and coordinate contractual distributions.
- Maintain compliance with local, state and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings.
- Prepare annual 990 tax returns and supporting schedules.
- Review/comply with all FASB and GAAP regulations, including appropriate recording of restricted funds/contributions.
- Establish and maintain a documented system of financial policies and procedures for the organization.
- Supervise Senior Accountant and Accounts Payable Administrator, assessing and developing their skill sets.
- Work with other departments as necessary to facilitate a smooth and continuous flow of information.
Accounting or Finance degree required. 6 years' experience in a senior level accounting position required with a minimum of two years of supervisory experience. Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, financial regulations required. Non-profit experience managing high volume of private contributions strongly preferred. Advanced excel skills, including pivot tables and vlookups, working knowledge of Financial Edge and Tessitura softwares a plus.
SPECIAL JOB CHARACTERISTICS
The ideal candidate should be a highly motivated self-starter who can assess situations, determine urgency and identify potential risks, and make clear and timely decisions in the best interests of the organization. The candidate will possess a strong sense of ethics and will ensure that the organization's ethical standards and practices are established and maintained. Requires an ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports and statements. Requires effective organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills, and must be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously. Requires strong oral communication and interpersonal skills.
To apply for this position, please visit Houston Grand Opera's job board at https://www.houstongrandopera.org/employment-and-auditions/ RESUMES ACCEPTED UNTIL FILLED.
Houston Grand Opera is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Candidates for employment are considered without regard to race, color, sex, creed, religion, national origin, sexual preference, age, non-job related disability, or marital status.
Auditions for Houston Grand Opera are posted here regularly. Click on the links below to download audition information for current audition opportunities.