Calling all young adventurous singers!
Due to public health and safety concerns, Houston Grand Opera has canceled Sing Move Play, Create an Opera, and Art of Opera camps scheduled for June 2020. However, children ages 14-18 are encouraged to transfer registration or sign up for our new online virtual camp Discover Opera. Previously registered campers wishing to transfer their tuition should contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Calling all young adventurous singers!
Join Houston Grand Opera as we embark a journey to learn songs appropriate for auditions, develop fluency in the International Phonetic Alphabet, download the experiences from opera’s biggest stars, practice stage combat and movement to fight off villains, and strengthen acting skills in an online expedition of vocal prowess.
Registration for Discover Opera has closed. Please contact HGOco Operations Manager, Meredith Morse at email@example.com with any questions.
What: a condensed three-week journey for young singers to explore first steps in the field of professional singing through an online summer camp experience.
Why: opera is the most multi-disciplined performance art form of the world, and many young singers overlook the skills needed to hone early on to ensure their success in the field. This experience aims to provide a solid framework for singers to develop as a well-rounded talent.
Who: singers ages 13-18
Where: online platforms including zoom
June 16- July 2, 2020
3 days a week (Tuesday-Thursdays)
9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. CST. Additional Navigator session goes through 3:30 p.m. CST
- Performance prep for 3 Art Songs offered in voice class format
- Performance prep for 2 contrasting monologues and acting techniques
- Stage combat for beginners
- Intro to Opera literature course
- Group conversations led by opera’s biggest stars
- Certificate of completion awarded to students that fulfill all requirements of courses
- All benefits and participation of the Explorer experience
- Personalized skill building
- Mock audition (via video submission) with written and verbal feedback from HGO and Camp staff
- Performer’s resume prep
- Letter of recommendation from HGO staff
- College choice discussion with industry professionals for students and parents
Frequently Asked Questions
• Any singer aged 13-18
• Camper should have ability to learn music (either by reading music or rote)
• Internet access
• Computer or smartphone
• Video correspondence capabilities (webcam/microphone/speakers/smartphone)
• Headphones are optional
• Access to a printer or ability to read sheet music on another device
• A room where you can make noise
• Enough space to move 6-8 feet in any direction
• Good lighting to allow others to see your image clearly
• We will use a combination of platforms including Zoom as well as printable pdf sheet music and materials as needed.
• Sessions will be led by professional artists and teachers
• In some cases, there will be one-on-one video calls between a teacher and a student
• Video submissions may be used for performance critique and feedback
• Students are expected to learn music, monologues, and movement sequences on their own time
• Everyone's learning processes are different; however, we will teach and make the following resources available for each camper to learn:
o Up to 3 Art Songs
o Up to 2 monologues
o The International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA)
o Narratives and musical themes from the operatic cannon
o Basic stage combat and movement
• Campers that choose the Navigator experience will also learn:
o How to create a performing artist’s resume
o Invaluable information about choosing colleges and admission requirements for music majors
o Tips and advantages for collegiate and professional auditions
You are the reason breathtaking opera exists today. You know the importance of art and its ability to change lives. And only through your support will HGO remain one of the world’s great homes for opera.
2020–21 Season Subscriptions
Subscribing to HGO is the most convenient way to experience all of our outstanding operas. A season subscription guarantees you the best seats at the lowest prices—savings of up to 55% over single-ticket buyers. Plus, you enjoy the ease of having your performances pre-scheduled, while still having ultimate flexibility when your plans change.