COVID-19 UPDATE: Due to the spread of Covid-19, HGOco will not be holding any in-person events this season. Keep reading for information on how to book a virtual Storybook Opera performance.
Storytelling like you’ve never heard it before takes center stage as an opera singer presents an engaging and enjoyable introduction to opera for students Pre-K – 2. This program brings singing storytellers to your school or library for 30 minutes of captivating fun! Storybook Opera is performed across the Houston area at schools and libraries, with a variety of books in both English and Spanish!
Now offering virtual Storybook Opera!
A teaching artist will perform The Armadillo’s Dream live via Zoom, Teams, or your school’s preferred video platform.
The Armadillo’s Dream
by Dennis Arrowsmith
This inspiring and timely tale stars an armadillo named Sandy who lives on the Houston bayou and dreams of singing. Though discouraged by the creatures he meets, Sandy is magically transformed during a storm and his shell becomes a part of a production at Houston Grand Opera.
- $75 for one performance
- $125 for two performances
- $175 for three performances
- $100 for one performance
- $150 for two performances
- $200 for three performances
Recommended Reading (Not Available for Performances at this Time)
Westward Ho, Carlotta
by Candace Fleming
The beloved diva Carlotta Caruso heads west on a grand adventure, greeting everyone with a song, including vicious villains she meets along the way.
by Tess Weaver
The reigning diva of Milan, Madame Soso, has a cat named Alma who secretly loves to sing. When Madame develops laryngitis on opening night, guess who steps in to save the day?
The Dog Who Sang at the Opera
by Jim West & Marshell Izen
Pasha, a vain wolfhound, upstages the diva one night at the Metropolitan Opera.
*Bantam of the Opera
by Mary Jane Auch
A country rooster sneaks a ride into the city hoping to see an opera performance. Unexpectedly, the star of the show catches a bad case of chicken pox and threatens to cancel the performance! Could this be Luigi's big break?
- Each season, Storybook Opera travels to an average of 60 elementary schools, libraries and community centers
- 7,250 children and families experience Storybook Opera every year
- Generous underwriting and gifts make Storybook Opera affordable, with performances starting at just $75 for one performance
- Teaching Artists are trained with TEKS-aligned principles at the beginning of each season in order to better engage with classroom curriculum
- Bilingual performances bring two artists into classrooms, so students receive the entirety of each book in both English and Spanish
For more information:
Email Storybook@HGO.org or call 713-546-0231