COVID-19 UPDATE: Due to the spread of Covid-19, HGOco will not be holding any in-person programs until January 2022. Keep reading for information on how to book a virtual Storybook Opera performance.
Storytelling like you’ve never heard it before takes center stage as an opera singer presents an engaging and enjoyable introduction to opera for students Pre-K – 2. This program brings singing storytellers to your school or library for 30 minutes of captivating fun! Storybook Opera is performed across the Houston area at schools and libraries, with a variety of books in both English and Spanish!
Now offering virtual Storybook Opera!
A teaching artist will perform The Armadillo’s Dream live via Zoom, Teams, or your school’s preferred video platform.
The Armadillo’s Dream
by Dennis Arrowsmith
This inspiring and timely tale stars an armadillo named Sandy who lives on the Houston bayou and dreams of singing. Though discouraged by the creatures he meets, Sandy is magically transformed during a storm and his shell becomes a part of a production at Houston Grand Opera.
The Armadillo's Dream was Commissioned by Houston Grand Opera. It was generously underwritten by Connie Kwan-Wong Foundation and CKW Luxe
Lula the Mighty Griot
by Deborah D.E.E.P. Mouton
Composed by John Cornelius
Have you ever wondered why your legs bend in the middle? Or why your knees kiss just a bit? In this 25-minute storybook opera, young audiences will learn the myth of Lula, The Mighty Griot. Her ability to take on the alligators that threaten her town teaches young viewers self-acceptance, confidence, and the power of the everyday story.
Agua, Aguita (Water, Little Water) & Fuego, Fuegita (Fire, Little Fire)
By Jorge Tetl Argueta
In these beautiful, poetic odes to the life-giving force of water and invigorating power of fire, award-winning children's book author Jorge Argueta describes in English, Spanish and Nahuat the life cycle of water and fire. With stunningly beautiful illustrations by Felipe Ugalde Alcántara that depict the natural world, these poems about the importance of water and fire reflect Argueta's indigenous roots and his appreciation for nature.
*Available in November and December 2021*
The Snowy Day
By Ezra Jack Keats
Based on the beloved 1962 children’s book, this story follows a young boy named Peter who explores his neighborhood after the season’s first snowfall.
- $75 for one performance
- $125 for two performances
- $175 for three performances
- $100 for one performance
- $150 for two performances
- $200 for three performances
- Each season, Storybook Opera travels to an average of 60 elementary schools, libraries and community centers
- 7,250 children and families experience Storybook Opera every year
- Generous underwriting and gifts make Storybook Opera affordable, with performances starting at just $75 for one performance
- Teaching Artists are trained with TEKS-aligned principles at the beginning of each season in order to better engage with classroom curriculum
- Bilingual performances bring two artists into classrooms, so students receive the entirety of each book in both English and Spanish
- Click Here to purchase a copy of Armadillo's Dream
For more information:
Email Storybook@HGO.org or call 713-546-0231