COVID-19 update: We originally had slated Katie for stagings in area schools and community venues from September 2020 through May 2021. At least through March 2021, we will instead offer the work to students digitally through a high-quality recorded performance, along with a study guide. The filmed version of Katie—starring wonderful Houston-based mezzo-soprano and frequent HGO collaborator Cecilia Duarte in the title role—will be available to students starting in September 2020.
Opera to Go! is a fully-staged, high-energy, 45-minute opera, sung entirely in English and designed with students in mind. Opera to Go! is performed across countless schools and community venues all over the greater Houston region as well as to further regions in the great State of Texas.
Already Purchased Your Digital Access?
If you have already purchased your digital access and are not seeing a link above this message, please call 713-546-0231 or email OperaToGo@HoustonGrandOpera.org for assistance.
2020–21 Opera to Go!
Katie: The Strongest of the Strong
Music by Faye Chiao
Libretto by Anton Dudley
Based on the life of Austro-American weightlifter Katie Brumbach, Katie: The Strongest of the Strong is the charming and cheeky tale of Katie’s rise to fame, as she outlifts the strongest man in the world then joins the circus and eventually finds her place as an icon of the women’s suffrage movement. Told through the eyes of journalist Marina Martin, a chorus of circus women take on a multitude of characters in this operatic adventure, showing us that strength and beauty come in all shapes and sizes.
View the resource page HERE
- Each season, Opera to Go! presents over 150 performances by a troupe of dedicated performing artists
- Nearly 60,000 children and families see an OTG! performance each year
- To date, 18 OTG! productions have been world premieres
- OTG! has toured as far as Midland, Laredo and Kerrville, TX
- Teachers receive a free study guide with TEKS-aligned lesson plans prior to the campus visit
- Students engage with cast & crew members in a Q & A session following each performance
- Mondays, Wednesday, and Fridays
- September 28-December 11, 2020 and January 25-May 21, 2021
$625 for one performance / $1,100 for two back-to-back performances
For more info:
please call 713-546-0231 or email OperaToGo@HoustonGrandOpera.org