COVID-19 update: : For the 2021-22 season, we are offering The Barber of Seville in Texas to students and teachers digitally through a high-quality recorded performance, along with a study guide. Live touring performances begin Spring 2022.
Opera to Go! is a fully-staged, high-energy, 45-minute opera, sung entirely in English and designed with students in mind. Opera to Go! is performed across countless schools and community venues all over the greater Houston region as well as to further regions in the great State of Texas.
Already Purchased Your Digital Access?
If you have already purchased your digital access and are not seeing a link above this message, please call 713-546-0231 or email OperaToGo@HoustonGrandOpera.org for assistance.
2021-22 Opera to Go!
The Barber of Seville in Texas
Music by Gioachino Rossini
Adaptation/Libretto by Kristine McIntyre
Virtual Release Fall 2021/Touring Spring 2022
The year is 1840. Rosina, an orphan, travels from Spain and happily arrives in Texas to live with her uncle, Dr. Bartolo. It’s love at first sight between Rosina and Almaviva, a local ranch owner. Dr. Bartolo won’t allow Rosina out of her room, so she sneaks a note to Almaviva. It is written in Spanish and he cannot understand it. His good friend, Figaro, the famous barber and sabe-lo-todo, helps him translate Rosina’s letter. Will disguises, dictionaries, and shaving cream be enough to confound Dr. Bartolo and can Figaro unite the young lovers before the setting of the Texas sun?
Booking information and study guide coming soon.
- Last season's digital version of Katie: The Strongest of the Strong was offered for free to all HISD classrooms.
- Each season, Opera to Go! presents over 150 performances by a troupe of dedicated performing artists
- Nearly 60,000 children and families see an OTG! performance each year
- To date, 18 OTG! productions have been world premieres
- OTG! has toured as far as Midland, Laredo and Kerrville, TX
- Teachers receive a free study guide with TEKS-aligned lesson plans prior to the campus visit
- Students engage with cast & crew members in a Q & A session following each performance
For more info:
please call 713-546-0231 or email OperaToGo@HoustonGrandOpera.org