Opera to Go! is a fully-staged, high-energy, 45-minute opera, sung entirely in English and designed with students in mind. Opera to Go! is performed across countless schools and community venues all over the greater Houston region as well as to further regions in the great State of Texas.
2020–21 Opera to Go!
Katie: The Strongest of the Strong
Music by Faye Chiao
Libretto by Anton Dudley
Based on the life of Austro-American weightlifter Katie Brumbach, Katie: The Strongest of the Strong is the charming and cheeky tale of Katie’s rise to fame, as she outlifts the strongest man in the world then joins the circus and eventually finds her place as an icon of the women’s suffrage movement. Told through the eyes of journalist Marina Martin, a chorus of circus women take on a multitude of characters in this operatic adventure, showing us that strength and beauty come in all shapes and sizes.
Check back to Download the study guide here
Maximum audience capacity is 300. Click here for technical requirements.
- Each season, Opera to Go! presents over 150 performances by a troupe of dedicated performing artists
- Nearly 60,000 children and families see an OTG! performance each year
- To date, 18 OTG! productions have been world premieres
- OTG! has toured as far as Midland, Laredo and Kerrville, TX
- Teachers receive a free study guide with TEKS-aligned lesson plans prior to the campus visit
- Students engage with cast & crew members in a Q & A session following each performance
Mileage charges apply for sites more than 35 miles outside of downtown Houston.
- Mondays, Wednesday, and Fridays
- September 28-December 11, 2020 and January 25-May 21, 2021
$625 for one performance / $1,100 for two back-to-back performances
For more info:
please call 713-546-0231 or email OperaToGo@HoustonGrandOpera.org