The Bauer Family High School Voice Studio
Bauer Family High School Voice Studio
The Bauer Family High School Voice Studio’s mission is to identify and nurture high school students who exhibit extraordinary potential and are interested in pursuing vocal performance at the collegiate level. The BFHSVS guides aspiring students to find healthy means of vocal technique and artistic expression and all-around achievement within a rigorous and supportive environment.
Apply to the Bauer Family High School Voice Studio!
HGOco must receive all of the following by March 27, 2021 or the application will not be complete:
1. Completed Application Form: This form must contain links to two (2) video recordings of the applicant performing songs of their choice (one song per video.) All pieces should be accompanied by piano and performed from memory.
2. Two (2) Recommendation forms (form is linked above and HERE): One (1) to be submitted by applicant's high school choral or music teacher or equivalent who can describe the applicant's musical, vocal, and performance experience and personal motivation; One (1) to be submitted by another professional that can describe the applicant's work or study ethic, their ability to get along with others, and their level of personal focus/motivation. Forms must be submitted by the recommender and NOT the applicant to HSVoice@Houstongrandopera.org by March 27,2021
Please direct any questions you may have to HSVoice@Houstongrandopera.org
*Appropriate Repertoire to Use for Your Audition. Students should consult with their current private voice teacher or choir director when selecting their music. Suitable repertoire can be found on the University Scholastic League’s prescribed music list at: http://wwwdev.uiltexas.org/pml/ In addition, musical theater pieces written in the golden-age style (before 1970) or solo versions of spirituals or religious hymns may be appropriate for singers who have not studied privately.*
Class of 2021
- Victoria Cerda, soprano-junior Eisenhower High School, Aldine ISD
- Sam Dill, counter tenor- senior Kinder High School for the Performing and Visual Arts, HISD
- Nate Edwards, baritone- senior Tomball Memorial High School, Tomball ISD
- Brianna Escamilla, mezzo- senior Angleton High School, Angleton ISD
- Jackie Hickman, soprano – junior, Kinder High School for the Performing and Visual Arts, HISD
- Nicholas Mathew, tenor- junior Shadow Creek High School, Alvin ISD
- Benjamin Mera, tenor- senior Cypress Falls HS, CFISD
- Samantha Pape, mezzo-junior Kinder High School for the Performing and Visual Arts, HISD
- Jude Watt, tenor- senior Kingwood High School, Humble ISD
Bauer Family High School Voice Studio Students Receive:
- 24 private voice lessons with recognized, Houston-area college voice faculty.
- Monthly masterclasses with HGO mainstage artists or artistic staff.
- Significant financial assistance with travel for college auditions.
- Development of a College Audition Toolkit: Guidance with identifying the best school “fit” for each student, audition techniques, text interpretation, application assistance, professional-quality video to use for preliminary auditions.
- Two free tickets to each HGO mainstage dress rehearsal.
Events Open to the Public
BFHSVS Masterclasses and Recitals are free and open to the public.
- January 9, 2021 at 10:30am: Masterclass with Nicole Heaston, Livestreamed via HGO YouTube Page
- February 6, 2021 at 10:30am: Masterclass with Anthony Roth Costanzo, Livestreamed via HGO YouTube Page
- March 6, 2021 at 10:30am: Masterclass with HGO Studio, Livestreamed via HGO YouTube Page
- April 17, 2021 at 10:30am: Masterclass with Dr. Carleen Graham, Director of HGOco, Livestreamed via HGO YouTube Page
The Bauer Family High School Voice Studio is generously sponsored by:
Ruth and Ted Bauer Family Foundation
C. T. Bauer Foundation
Houston Grand Opera Guild Endowment Fund in memory of Ann Craft