Employment Opportunities Opportunities for employment at Houston Grand Opera are posted here regularly. Houston Grand Opera is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Candidates for employment are considered without regard to race, color, sex, creed, religion, national origin, sexual preference, age, non-job-related disability, or marital status.
HGO Artistic and Studio Summer Internship
Location: Houston, TX
- Work closely with the HGO Artistic and Studio Departments on department projects and day-to-day operations.
- Understand ethics, compliance, and business conduct issues pertaining to nonprofit arts administration.
- Become acquainted with the management process at HGO through the observation of meetings and other activities.
- Understand time management requirements when working with projects.
- Assist the Studio Administrator in managing the schedule and logistics for the Young Artists Vocal Academy (YAVA).
- Assist Studio Administrator in planning Social Media strategies for 2017-2018.
- Learn how to apply marketing skills and tactics to social media presence.
- Develop presentation skills.
- Become familiar with graphic design software programs.
- Become familiar with creative briefs and project proofing.
- Assist Company Office in contracting supernumeraries and preparing super orientation materials and payroll schedules.
- Become acquainted with the process for filing visa petitions and submitting financial paperwork for foreign artists.
- Learn how to produce a production calendar for a show within the context of a larger season.
- Research and produce materials for the HGO Studio.
- Create, design, and maintain databases of information for HGO Studio reference on multiple artistic fields in the opera industry.
- Assist in the contracting of HGO Studio faculty and staff for 2017-18 season.
- Create and maintain database of YAVA alumni.
- All other duties as needed.
- Develop planning, organizational and time management skills.
- Increase knowledge of computer skills and technology.
- Develop team-based work competencies.
- Undergraduate or graduate students studying Music, Administration, Business, or related fields; an interest or previous studies in classical music is preferred.
- Must demonstrate professional maturity and possess excellent interpersonal skills.
- Attention to detail, strong communication and writing skills and computer literacy required.
- Proficiency in Excel and Word required.
- Your own transportation is required.
- The primary incentive of this internship is the opportunity to investigate a career opportunity in artistic administration with hands-on experience. Once completed, the intern will have knowledge to help determine whether a career in artistic administration is something to pursue.
- The intern will participate in actual opera production administration, social media campaigns, and program administration.
- Intern will develop skills vital to today’s nonprofit performing arts environment including team-based interaction, and an in-depth knowledge of the operas, companies, and singers working in the industry.
Internships for Houston Grand Opera are unpaid, but offer a great deal of hands on experience. College credit is available upon request and school approval. Interns will gain and/or improve upon his or her:
- Research, writing, editing, networking and general communication skills
- Understanding of administration for a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization
- General computer, database and organizational skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, mission-driven organization
A parking pass will be provided for the duration of the internship.
Interns are expected to work at the Houston Grand Opera’s office 15 or more hours/week during office hours (9:00 am – 6:00 pm, Monday – Friday). Schedule is flexible as agreed upon by the supervisor and intern. Failure to complete hours as scheduled may result in termination of the internship.Apply Now
Internships at HGO
Location: Houston, TX
Houston Grand Opera's goal is to develop a well-rounded internship program to encourage individuals to learn the standards and experience the demands of Technical Theater and Arts Administration. Houston Grand Opera is committed to providing the necessary time and training through in-depth, hands-on experience to aid the development of an individual from promising student to practicing professional. Interns become valuable members of the department in which they are assigned, and given lifelong resources from which to grow. Houston Grand Opera internships are unpaid.
Due to the variable hours of the program and the intense nature of the work, all interns must abide by a mutually agreed upon schedule that each intern and respective supervisor determine together. These and other commitment issues are discussed in more detail during the interview process.
All Houston Grand Opera internships are unpaid. However, it may be possible to arrange for academic credit through your school. Please check with your school adviser to see if this applies.
Internships are done on an "as needed" basis. Please submit your interest through our online application process. Should a department have an internship need or availability, we will review applications submitted.Apply Now
Auditions for Houston Grand Opera are posted here regularly. Click on the links to the right to download audition information for current audition opportunities.